Monday, September 15, 2014

The Land of 10,000 Lakes

Katelyn Hegewald, the student-manager of the team, takes over the Milwaukee Volleyblog on a full-time basis in 2014.

Self-described as "that girl who sits on the bench and catches scarves, books, pens and sometimes even heavy necklaces that Susie throws when she gets frustrated," she will be writing the blog every week for the team and the many endeavors they encounter.

Today is her third installment for 2014.

Another preseason road trip is down in the books for the Panther volleyball team! This past weekend we were in Minnesota for the Diet Coke Classic, and if you could pick a soda that the entire coaching staff loves it would some sort of Coke product. You could say the cooler in the locker room full of soda for the staff was empty by the end of the trip. Love that Diet Coke!

Due to a class conflict I couldn’t ride the bus up with the team, but I hear Frozen was played, which bummed me out a little because I still need to see that movie! I know, I missed the boat on seeing that movie when it first came out. I was in good hands though. The always wonderful Lori and Ottis Price, parents of setter Kayla Price, were generous enough to let me ride up with them Friday morning. A big shout out to them for letting me talk their ear off, I might be considered to some as a chatty Cathy, once you get me going. Oh, and I got to share the back seat with not only senior Taylor Galobowski’s dad, but also an entire box of cookies. So you could say the ride up was pretty solid.

We struggled Friday night against the Iowa State Cyclones but were ready to go Saturday morning to play the 19th ranked Gophers. What an outstanding game! If you didn’t get a chance to see it or read about it, just know this, it was electrifying. It was almost hard to keep stats on the laptop because I literally didn’t want to take my eyes off the court! We beat Minnesota the first game of the match but the conquered would take on the next three. It was an outstanding game played on both sides, truly. Both teams were made better by playing and being challenged by the other.

Later Saturday night, we played the last game of the weekend which was against the Tulsa Golden Hurricanes. We rallied hard but got beat by the Hurricanes and that concluded the weekend. Overall, in my opinion, I think this weekend was good, I think we are one step further to being totally ready to start conference. We played hard and we never gave up! I am very excited to go on our last preseason trip and then bring it on back to the K to kickstart the 2014 Horizon League Conference play!

Thursday we head on out to East Lansing, Michigan, to take on another Big Ten tournament Michigan State! There we will play the Spartans, LIU-Brooklyn and we will have our second matchup with Western Kentucky! See all you travelers in Michigan and I will see the rest of you at the next home game! Until next time…

“It’s hard to beat a person who never gives up.” -Babe Ruth